Grass grub in pasture, orchards or vineyards cause damage because their larvae eat plant roots. In new grape plantings grass grub larvae can cause significant vine deaths in the first few years.
BioShield Grass Grub Liquid is a long-term grass grub control solution that works by introducing a disease that is specific to grass grub larvae, which is then passed from dead grubs to following generations.
Grass grub control timeline:
- 6 weeks – approx. 10–20% of grass grub show signs of amber disease (specific for grass grub larvae only).
- 1 year – the grass grub larvae population should be approx. halved from time of application. Dead grass grub larvae will not be visible as they decay quickly.
- BioShield Grass Grub Liquid provides approx. 3–5 years’ protection, depending on environmental conditions.
BioShield Grass Grub contains the active ingredient Serratia entomophila, a soil bacterium that occurs naturally in New Zealand which causes amber disease in grass grub (Costelytra zealandica).
BioShield Grass Grub liquid starts the amber disease cycle in NZ grass grub larvae leading to population decline:
- The liquid is applied to the soil and is ingested by grass grub larvae, which take in the soil while feeding on plants and roots.
- Once inside the grass grub gut, the Serratia entomophila bacteria multiply and cause amber disease. As a result, within 3 days, the grass grub stops eating .
- When the infected grass grub dies of starvation and decomposes, the Serratia entomophila bacteria in their gut is released into the soil and ingested by other grass grubs.
- The cycle of infection is now set up for long-term control of the grass grub.
BioShield Grass Grub liquid is safe for humans, stock and other insects.
Registered pursuant of the ACVM Act 1997 No. P4409